The philosophy of The Yellow House is shared by all who work within the organisation.
‘Freedom to learn and grow into caring, assertive, responsible adults’.
- We provide an environment that is caring and nurturing.
- We provide an environment that is enjoyable to be in and in which everyone can relax.
- We believe that students in The Yellow House should experience achievement without undue pressure, threat or fear of failure.
- We believe that each student should be given the freedom to learn in the ways that suit them best.
- We want our students to be able to look back on their time at The Yellow House with positive happy memories.
- We will give each individual the opportunity to develop their special skills and talents, while ensuring that they have access to a broad diversity of learning experiences.
- We believe that learning should be fun, as well as being relevant to the needs of the individual.
- We will provide every opportunity for our students to experience learning which takes place in and through the community. We view this as a highly important part of the therapeutic work we offer to our students.
- We will support all students at The Yellow House in learning to express their thoughts, feelings, ideas and beliefs assertively and confidently.
- We will teach all students in The Yellow House how to listen to the opinions of others with respect and consideration, and they will be helped in developing the skills needed to challenge things they disagree with without resorting to aggression or self-abuse.
- We will teach our students how to develop new and successful ways of managing anger, dealing with conflict and resolving disputes and see this as an essential part of our therapeutic work.
- We will encourage the students who come to The Yellow House to show involvement, commitment and ownership through making choices and decisions and through taking responsibility for the house itself and welfare of all the people who come to it.
- We believe that everyone in The Yellow House has the right to be listened to, the right to be valued, and the right to be treated with consideration and respect. We believe that these rights apply equally to staff and students.